[Retros] Retractor 2.0 now available online

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Thu Apr 15 02:56:41 EDT 2021

 Hi folks,

I agree with Bernd. As long as there are no false negatives, then we can aim to eliminate false positives through manual logic, and then mark a problem as HC+.

I presume the overall problem of determining legality is <np complete/undecidable/very difficult/enter appropriate technical term here>.

But the pawn capture counting sub-problem is simpler, and indeed most retro solutions begin with a calculation of the balance for each side. It is probably worth tackling this systematically rather than having numerous special cases, as it will cover a great deal of situations. A pawn which promotes must somehow clear the opposing pawn which began on that file.

The person who has made most headway in this computing area is probably Mario Richter, and it would be well worth Theodore getting in touch with him to understand how to take forward the excellent work that Mario's been doing over the years. The constraints work by Francois Labelle is also relevant, and looking at any pawn capture analysis underpinning Popeye.
All the best,
Andrew