[Retros] Retractor 2.0 now available online

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Wed Apr 14 04:26:18 EDT 2021

 Hi Theodore,

Thanks very much for this new program!

(1) I have tested it on part a) of three tiny problems which all have the following stipulation:

a) White to move. Last move?
b) KBP in 4.0

P1012898
 https://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=r1bqkbnr/pppppppp/5Q1B/8/8/8/PPP1PPPP/RN2KBNRSolutions:Rb8-a8 - correct
RbxNa8 - incorrect <- what's going on here? A wP is indeed missing, but it could never have reached the 8th rank to promote. Is this easy to fix in Retractor 2.0?

P1323914
 https://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=1rbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/5PK1/8/PPPPP1PP/RNBQ1BNRSolution:Ra8-b8 - correct

and a new one! :-)
RML: 14-Apr-2021
Dedicated to Theodore Hwa
 https://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=2bqkbBr/rpppp1pp/p4p2/8/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQK1NRSolution:Ra8-a7 - correct
(2) Is there a way that Retractor (or indeed a simpler version which makes no attempt to eliminate logically-impossible retractions) can be integrated with Popeye so that simple help retractors in the style of Edith Baird can be solved?
(3) In what sense might one be able to mark a problem passed by Retractor 2.0 as C+? If, as in P1012898, the errors are always going to be ones of commission, not omission. Then it can be extremely valuable even if not perfect.
Thanks,
Andrew