[Retros] Retractor 2.0 now available online

Theodore Hwa hwatheod at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 10 01:56:47 EDT 2021

Hello retro enthusiasts,

Retractor 2.0 is now available online as an application in your browser at

http://xenon.stanford.edu/~hwatheod/retractor2/retractor.html

For those not familiar, Retractor is a program for exploring retro
problems. It lets you setup a position and play backwards from it, and
warns you if it detects an illegal position.  It reports the number of
captures and promotions in a position. It can also solve some "Last N
moves" problems.

For those of you who have been around this list for a while, Retractor 2.0
is the successor of Retractor 1.0 which was a Windows application
developed by myself and Chad Whipkey in 1998.

Right now, Retractor 2.0 is pretty much a straight port of Retractor 1.0
to Javascript. I hope to improve its abilities in the future. The
immediate items for improvement are (1) taking promotions into account
when counting pawn captures, and (2) a more general method for detection
of illegal retro-cages (right now, some common cases are hard-coded).

I am using the "Last Single Move" problems (types A-D) at
https://www.janko.at/Retros/Records/LastMove/index.htm as benchmarks for
improving Retractor. When going through those problems, I found that when
Retractor cannot solve one of them, it's usually because of (1) and/or
(2).

If you are interested in the source code, it is available on github at:
https://github.com/hwatheod/retractor

Any and all feedback, comments, contributions for Retractor are
appreciated! You can contact me at this email address, or on the github
page above.

Thanks,

Ted Hwa