[Retros] "Logical play" in classical retros.

Thomas Brand t.brand at gmx.net
Fri May 1 11:00:35 EDT 2020

Dear Andrey, dear all,

in a way, it's a pity that Wolfgang Dittmann's Der Blick zurück was published in German. For he had not only intensively dealt with „logical" Procas (both orthodox ones and, from 2006, logical Anti-Circe Procas), but also presented them in the spirit of the New German School (according to Herbert Grasemann: „Logic + Purity of Aim = New German").

Unfortunately, the solutions given in the PDB are usually quite scarce, so that this structure is difficult to recognize there. Today I've presented the solutions for two of this Procas in more detail (i.e. an english summary of the solutions in his book), see https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/P000556 <https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/P000556> and https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/P1012765 <https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/P1012765>, these are No.119 and 145 in Der Blick zurück. Dittmann avoided the term „pure-of-aim", because he was aware that this is even more complex in retro than in forward play.

Last year, Günther Weeth and I had published an article on this topic in Die Schwalbe: "Logik und Zweckökonomie im Verteidigungsrückzüger" (298-2 Die Schwalbe August 2019, pp. 272-283). There we discussed, among other ones, four Procas of Joaquim and you, including that one which I had awarded 1st Prize in the Dittmann Memorial 2015.

Best,

Thomas