[Retros] Fastest selfmates in 1?

François Labelle flab at wismuth.com
Thu Dec 10 14:39:25 EST 2020

Hi all,

I took up Noam's challenge. My computer found no example of a forced
mate after 5.0 moves. It is currently looking for examples after 5.5
moves and I should get the answer in about 2 days. So far after 10%, it
found two similar positions with 396 + 264 = 660 games in total, almost
certainly the examples Noam found. I'll post again when I have the
complete results.

For the computation I'm using the technique suggested by Noam: the
starting point is files containing every distinct position after up to
5.5 moves, and to run faster I require that the side to play is in check
(a property which should hold as long as we're dealing with short
games). I like that the challenge is right on the edge of exhaustive
computer search.

     François