[Retros] "Logical play" in classical retros.

Pascal Wassong pascal.wassong at free.fr
Thu Apr 30 08:13:51 EDT 2020

Hello all,

I just saw the results of WCCI 2016-2018, Section H - Retros.  The PDF
file with the problems and the solutions is here:
https://www.wfcc.ch/wp-content/uploads/WCCI7-H-Winners.pdf

>From this document, I extract the following problem.

H229-1, by Andrey Frolkin
The 6th FIDE World Cup in Composing, 2018 1st Prize
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| N | . |   | . |   | . |   |*B |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| . |   |*P |*P | . |*P |*P |*R |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|   | . |   | . |   |*P |   | N |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| . |   | . |   | . |   | . | K |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|*P | . |   | . |   | . | P | R |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| . |   | . | P | . | P | R | N |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| P | . | P |*R |*B | P |*P |*K |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| . |*N | . | B |*Q |   | . | Q |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
N6b/2pp1ppr/5p1N/7K/p5PR/3P1PRN/P1PrbPpk/1n1Bq2Q
14 + 14  Release the position

After the solution, there is a comment saying: "Most likely, this is the
first-ever cage-based retro with “logical play” (a clear main plan and a
clear foreplan)."

I think that this not at all the "first-ever" retro with these features.
There are probably dozens of already published retros with a clear main
plan and a clear foreplan.  It was probably just not presented like that
in their solutions.  I give one example (problem P1320062 in the PDB):
https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/search.jsp?expression=PROBID=%27P1230062%27

Thomas Volet
6301 Phénix 205 04/2011
dedicated to M.Pavelitch & S.Volobuev
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| N |*B |   | . |   | . |   | . |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| B |   |*P |   | . |*P | . | B |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|*R | P |   | . |   | . | P | . |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| R |*P | . |   | . |   |*P |*B |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|*R | P |*P | . |   | . |   | . |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|*K |*P | . |   | . | P | . |   |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
|*Q | . | P | P |   |*P | P | . |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
| . |   | K | R |*N |   | . |   |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Nb6/B1p2p1B/rP4P1/Rp4pb/rPp5/kp3P2/q1PP1pP1/2KRn3
13 + 14  Release the position

After taking back bPd5xQc4, the main plan is to unpromote that wQ on e8,
bring the wP back to e2, and uncapture bPe3xf2 to unlock the position.
The try fails because the wB did not return to f1.

So there is a foreplan to bring the wBh7 back to f1: the wQ goes to b1
to free bQa2.  bQ unpromotes on h1, the bP returns to h6, white
uncaptures wPh5xQg6.  The wBh7 can now return to f1 and the uncaptured
bQ back to a2.  The wQ is free again, and can now play the main plan.

I would be glad to read your comments, and maybe see other classical
retros with clear foreplan and main plan.

Courage and patience,
Pascal