[Retros] Fwd: FW: How many different positions?

joose norri joose_norri at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:07:19 EST 2019

Geurt Gijssen discussed the second question in New in Chess 2/1987, referring to the famous Karpov-Miles 1986 and particularly Hartoch-Timman 1972.

https://www.365chess.com/search_result.php?wlname=hartoch&wname=&open=&blname=timman&bname=&eco=&nocolor=on&yeari=&yeare=&sply=1&ply=&res=&submit_search=1#

In that game, could white have  claimed a draw before 21.Rf5?  Announcing that he is playing Nc7. Geurt's position is that the rules at the time say that Black only loses castling rights when he actually plays Ke7. He seems unhappy with that.

Joose

Subject: Re: [Retros] Fwd: FW: How many different positions?

Olavi Riihimaa published the same position, except a4<>b4, d4<>e4, g4<>h4, in the British Chess Magazine November 1954, see also Schach und Zahl. He arrived at 192 positions.

As to your second question, Olli Heimo constructed a position with I believe something like wKe1 Rh1 - bKe8 pe2, where obviously white can never castle, even though he hasn't lost the right to do so.

Joose