[Retros] Happy New Hebrew Year

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 21 19:51:04 EDT 2017

P.S. In reply to the suggestion of andrew buchanan <andrew at anselan.com>:

> I wonder only if it might be possible to lighten the pawns on the
> right hand side. Perhaps you tried remove the g-pawns before.

I replied:

< Yes I did, also with other variations (e3+ instead of h3+,
> wN instead of wB, other ways to block d1).  I didn't find
< anything more economical.

On the other hand it seems to be possible to save a pawn on
the *left* hand side by replacing Pa4/a5 by a single bPb5
(which dare not move because of Ba4-c6):

  https://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=2k5/P7/1P6/1p6/6pp/4p1P1/4P1KP/n2B2b1

This might also make it worth another look at Andrew's suggestion
"try to remove bPh4 & move sPg3 to h3" (after 1 gxh3+ Kxh3?! 2 Kb7,
Black has a passed b-pawn, and the Black Bishop reaches b6 a move faster
via a5); but the outcome is still not clear to me and the extra analysis
still seems to high a price for saving one Black pawn.

NDE