[Retros] Happy New Hebrew Year

Noam D. Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 21 11:48:51 EDT 2017

andrew buchanan <andrew at anselan.com> writes:

> Today is the first day of the new Hebrew Year, 5778,
> a mathematically auspicious number!

Shanah Tovah to all who celebrate Hebrew holidays and/or
auspicious numbers :-)

> In an entirely unrelated matter :D here is a chess position.
> http://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=8/8/8/1p6/kPp5/BpPp2p1/pBRP2P1/B1B1K3
> Assuming optimal play, how many different possible sequences are there
> of the next 18.0 moves? (Shorter games don't count. Ignore the rules
> for drawing by repetition & dead position.)

With such a fakakte stipulation :-) one shouldn't have to also resort to
three promoted Bishops.  I think this position works in 17.0 (BTM)
and without having to keep track of the current convention for
"dead reckoning":

https://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=2k5/P7/1P6/p7/P5pp/4p1P1/4P1KP/n2B2b1

NDE