[Retros] A new program to solve fairy proof games

François Labelle flab at wismuth.com
Fri Nov 3 14:57:21 EDT 2017

CAILLAUD Michel wrote:

> As it is without rebirth, maybe you would like to incorporate it in
> your tests :
> dia 10.5 1sbq2sr/p1pppp1p/8/8/8/5S2/2PP2PP/bSBQKB1R condition LosingChess

Hi Michel,

Thank you for this example in LosingChess. It shows that the slowdown
isn't limited to Circe, something which I didn't know.

> Maybe in a future version, François can make "mode Tacu" as an option,
> generating automatically the data that otherwise are subject to human
> error?

Yes, absolutely. This is why I called the trick a "workaround". My
current plan is to automatically run every PG in "mode Tacu", so your
mistake won't happen again. My guess is that doing so will speed up most
PGs, and maybe slow down a small fraction of PGs that don't need it by a
little.

v0.1 is also doing something stupid: it's always calling both solvers
even when the first one rejects a move. v0.2 will fix this, so the
automatic "mode Tacu" in v0.2 should be faster than the manual "mode
Tacu" in v0.1.

Testing the Einstein PG on Jacobi's home page, the Tacu trick causes a
26% slowdown, but after the "stupidity fix" the slowdown is only 9%.
This looks like acceptable collateral damage in order to automatically
get 40x speed gains for other PGs.

     François