[Retros] "hit team" - a little challenge

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 30 14:37:56 EST 2017

andrew buchanan <andrew at anselan.com> writes:

> Thanks very much for the paper. It reminded my that Alexander Kislyak
> (I believe in his book "On the Track of Chess Pieces") created
> 64 proof game checkmates. BK was mated in turn on each square
> of the board.

Ending a proof game with checkmate isn't in itself that hard --
several times I've found that while realizing some other theme
there was enough freedom to add a one-ply checkmate coda.
It can still be interesting when the checkmate position is
particularly striking or connects with the rest of the theme.

> Noam proposed a synthetic problem with 6... Nf3#. I have found
> a solution. The final move is a capture but that's probably unavoidable.

Actually my "hit team" game does not end with a capture
(or I'd have written Nxf3#) :-)

NDE