[Retros] "hit team" - a little challenge

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Fri Jan 20 21:20:51 EST 2017

Hi retro friends,
Yaakov Mintz recently posted the following in PDB (P132046):
www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=rnbqkbn1/ppp1pPp1/4P3/8/8/8/1PP1PP1P/RN2KBNRSPG in 8.5
It shows a pure mate, and except for the "hit team" of White pieces actually involved in the mate, all pieces including bK are in apparent starting position (homebase).
I wondered if there are other proof games like this. Here's one I found:

www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=rnbqkb2/ppppp1p1/6Q1/8/8/8/PPPP1PPP/RNB1KBNRSPG in 5.5
Wikipedia tells us: a pure mate is a checkmating position in chess in which the mated king and all vacant squares in its field are attacked only once, and squares in the king's field occupied by friendly units are not also attacked by the mating side (unless such a unit is necessarily pinned to the king to avoid it interposing to block the check or capturing of mating unit).
Note this is not a model mate, which would have the additional requirement that all officers of the mating side (except possibly the king) are involved in the mate.

Can you find any others? Particularly it would be good to avoid non-standard material (i.e. the diagram should not show 2 white queens etc).
Hope this is an interesting challenge for some.
Regards,
Andrew