[Retros] History of Retrograde analysis problem?

Skjöldebrand, Martin dragons at libertymail.co
Sat Mar 14 12:50:30 EDT 2015

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am toying with the idea of writing something on the subject. Have been
for quite a while, but now that down sizing struck there might be an
opportunity to actually do something =)

We'll see what happens in the near future.

Regards,

Martin S

On 2015-03-14 12:12, Bernd Gräfrath wrote:

> Hi Martin,
> some classic books on retrograde analysis are listed in my paper "Desert Island Delights", in "The Problemist Supplement" of September 2011, pages 164-165; see
> http://www.theproblemist.org/september-2011
> Best wishes,
> Bernd
>
> GESENDET: Samstag, 14. März 2015 um 11:20 Uhr
> VON: "Thomas Brand" <t.brand at gmx.net>
> AN: retros at janko.at
> BETREFF: Re: [Retros] History of Retrograde analysis problem?
>
> Let me add that of course chapter 3 of Dittmann's "Der Blick zurück" ("Typologie der Retro-Gattungen" -- Typology of the Retro Genres") also contains a lot of historic aspects of retrograde analysis.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas
>
> Am 14.03.2015 um 09:00 schrieb Thomas Brand:
>
>> Indeed, Martin,
>>
>> It's hard to find a comprehensive "History of Retrograde Analysis" -- I do not know any specific book on this topic.
>>
>> The best history overview (some 50 pages, dated 2006) I know is Chapter 2 in Dittmann's "Der Blick zurück" ("Ursprung und Emenzipation der Retroanalyse" -- "Origin and Emancipation of Retrograde Analysis").
>>
>> Also Fabels "Meisterwerke der Retroanalyse" (dated 1971 (!!), dealing with classical retros only -- that was the time "before proof games") is woth reading (see http://www.janko.at/Retros/Masterworks/index.htm [1])

Links:
------
[1] http://www.janko.at/Retros/Masterworks/index.htm