[Retros] Retro Go

Francois Labelle flab at wismuth.com
Thu Jul 30 17:15:45 EDT 2015

As for proof games in Go, the longest possible SPG in Go is only 2 moves
long, which isn't encouraging. Nonetheless, I programmed my computer to
search for shortest A-to-B proof games. I didn't expect much, but to my
surprise my computer found some surprisingly long problems. The most
impressive are two 24-move long problems on a 4x4 board. To get nice
diagrams I published the problems on Sensei's Library at
http://senseis.xmp.net/?ShortestAToBProofGames4x4 . I managed to solve
the first problem with a friend in maybe 30 minutes, but we gave up on
the second one. So I think they're hard, but still humanly solvable
(hint: use the fact that the solution is unique, but of course you
already know that).

If you want to practice with easier problems, I also published 3x3 and
3x4 problems with some of the solutions on
http://senseis.xmp.net/?RetrogradeAnalysis .

Here are the maximum lengths achievable for various board sizes
according to my computer:

1x1: 0
1x2: 1
1x3: 7