[Retros] FW: Problem a friend of mine and I created years ago

Yoav Ben-Zvi yoavbz97 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 09:14:57 EDT 2014

Solution: 1.Pa6xb7!

WBg4 was promoted on b8 or d8. Promotion by pawn capture from c7 would require 6 captures by White Pawns but only 5 Black pieces (excluding BBf8) are available for capture. Therefore the promotion move was WPd7-d8 and the Black King moved before so it would not be standing in check which implies that Castling by Black is invalid. The analysis is elementary by expert standards but it is remarkable that this would be discovered completely independently and the composers should be encouraged to persist perhaps after reading some introductory material such as  http://www.janko.at/Retros/PedagogicalCollection.htm

Yoav