[Retros] campaigning for linear email threads

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:01:49 EDT 2014

Hi Andrew and Kevin,

What we might actually be starting on here is a "paradigmic debate".
Paradigm shifts are not achieved by single arguments or even a collectons
of arguments. They require tme, contemplation, good scenarios and growing
consensus as well. Which is probably the main reason why I want to write
the book.

Amongst what Andrew addresses as meta-rules, an important place must
be reserved for the "role play". Most confusions I see come from a scenario
with the traditional roles of players and solver. Actually the solver in a
retro-problem is very very different from the players and very different
from the solver in other types of problems. Besides that we need the roles
of "selectors" and "arbiters" to make sense of retro-problems. Each role
operates in its own space and has its own terminology.As an example:
players will always talk about "rights" while the solver talks mostly of
"licenses". When there is consensus about the role play other issues become
easier to address.

More next week.

Best wishes, Guus Rol.