[Retros] rights & ocassions / not answering Andrew anymore

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:03:36 EDT 2014

Dear Per,

The 2003 SPG problem is "correct" under the stipulation it was published
under, which was "drawn", or "remisiert" in german. This is much better
than "draw" which is commonly perceived as an instruction to "play and
draw". As a fait accompli,  "drawn" clearly delivers extra information to
the solver needed to make the solution unambiguous. One of the hidden retro
conventions is that players cannot surrender and cannot agree to a draw. An
automat of some kind is required to do the job.

Is it computer-checked? The first 18 moves were already computer-checked in
2003, the rep-cycle was too complicated then and apparently still is today.
I am sure though Michel Caillaud checked it out before he withdrew his own
version on the same theme. We were working on the same material in that
time. Fortunately, I had a head start on Michel of about one year. You
can't expect to beat him in a an even contest!

How I composed it? The way one expects from retro composers, back to front.
First I designed the long repetition cycle in several stages. As there was
still lots of freedom and material unused, I then attempted to setup an SPG
around it. I ended up with 3 versions one of which was refuted by the
computer. I chose the cleanest one remainng to put all emphasis on the rep
cycle. If I am not mistaken, this is now also the SPG with the highest
(possible?) ratio of repetition versus non-repetition moves. There are some
very short SPGs with repetition cycles but I couldn't find one with better
statistics than mine. You can take that as a challenge if you like!

Was the composition a success? Yes and No. It showed good content and
scored 2nd prize in Probleemblad. On the down side, I also intended it to
demonstrate a "premature repetition" try - see my other problems in that
period - but couldn't find an SPG to match. And then there is the little
bug nobody noticed and which I trust somebody will find out about some day.
Why spoil the fun by giving it away now?

Will it be in my book? Probably as an introduction to automatic draws. It
is a good example but without much theoretical significance. "Premature
repetitions" is a far more interesting and controversial subject for
treatment and debate. Ask Andrew about that!

Best, wishes,

Guus Rol.