[Retros] rights & ocassions /answering Andrew

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:23:36 EDT 2014

Hi Kevin,

I have no formal knowledge of information theory but I do have an
incomplete academic education in math. Still is my unfulfilled love.

While your (last) posts are mainly aimed at representing full information
problems, my efforts were always directed towards handling the partial
information field - preferably just by diagrams. Undoubtly you know of the
interesting puzzles where questions are asked of A, B en C. After A and B
have said they don't know the answer, C suddenly shouts "but now I do
know!". This is how things happen in "retro-strategy" problems. Add-on
information is acquired not by answering questions but by the moves being
played which cause changes in states. And then suddenly there comes a
solution to the problem. If we think of every different history as a
different world (one world cannot have 2 histories), then indeed every
future choice may connect to a different possible world. In retro-chess, a
proof game represents one possible world. In retro-strategy problems you
will always meet variations which have no common proof game. The Big
question is not to find the variations, but how to justify constructing a
solution with variations that have no single game history. Can be done, but
that is a different post. Logic has an absolute output but no absolute
input.

The primary state change is "license" to "right" or to "no right" which
tells you something about the significance of licenses. In parking terms,
having a "parking right" means there is a reserved parking spot in your
name. Having a "parking license" means you may try to park but there is no
guaranteed spot available. Quite a big difference on a crowded saturday
shopping trip.
To be contiued.

Guus Rol.