[Retros] rights & ocassions /answering Andrew

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:37:18 EDT 2014

Joost,

At least we've answered one question:

If you have wKe1, wRh1, bKe8, and play continues:
1. Ke2 Ke7 2. Ke1 Ke8 3. Rf1 Ke7 4. Rh1 Ke8, there is no explicitly correct
algorithm for counting repetitions -- it depends entirely upon whether we
use the 4-bit, or the 6-bit representation of castling rights!

6-bits would imply 1 repetition, whereas 4-bits would imply 2 repetitions.

In the interest of simplification of fairy chess rules, I would argue that
the 6-bit representation should be preferred.

As for claims against illegal moves, I think we can presume that the
composer has effectively implied a valid claim against every attempt at an
illegal move.

Beyond that, I fail to understand your question concerning whether castling
rights exist.
Obviously, castling rights exist;  and, they constitute an inherent element
of the position, which impact the legality of moves.