[Retros] rights & ocassions /answering Andrew

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:58:17 EDT 2014

Hi Guus,

Thank you for the clarification.
I fully agree that all assumptions should be explicitly stated, somewhere
in the Codex.

However, there seems to be some confusion concerning the state of a
position.

An orthodox chess position may be reduced to the following description:
1) the diagram (board orientation, and placement of all pieces upon it),
2) the set of all castling rights,
3) the set of en passant rights, and (the one everybody forgets),
4) the dead-reckoning consideration (if no help-win exists, however you
define win, the game is over).

The above information is both necessary and sufficient to determine the set
of all legal moves, in any position; therefore, the above information forms
a basis for the position.

Beyond this basis (the state of a position), there also exists some
attributes of a position...
For example, the counters (50-move counter, and 3-move repetition counter)
constitute an attribute of the position.
Alteration of these counters does not impact the the basis (or state) of
the position -- the attributes have no impact upon the set of legal move
possibilities in said position; they only have an impact upon the resulting
game outcome.

It is important to separate the aims and goals of a given chess game (or
problem), from the rules of legal movement, for said game.
And, the people who write the rules/Codex should know how to express these
rules from a fairy chess perspective (accounting for varying stipulations,
aims, goals, etc)...

With regard to the second point (castling rights), just consider how
orthodox chess skews the proper understanding:  in orthodox chess, castling
rights are reduced to a set of four information bits:
1) white has K-side castling rights?
2) white has Q-side castling rights?
3) black has K-side castling rights?
4) black has Q-side castling rights?
(each question can be answered by YES/NO, with the default being YES,
unless spoiled by retro-analysis).

But, the people who write the Orthodox Codex mistakenly believe that this
information is fundamental to a position, when it absolutely is not!
The programmers who develop a more encompassing representation (e.g.,
including Circe/Anticirce forms, wherein castling rights may be renewed
when units are reborn onto their game-array squares) must all appreciate
that the above 4-bits are a fiction; actually, 6-bits of information are
necessary to completely characterize castling rights in a position:
1) white King has castling rights?
2) white K-side Rook has castling rights?
3) white Q-side Rook has castling rights?
4) black King has castling rights?
5) black K-side Rook has castling rights?
6) black Q-side Rook has castling rights?

This example is just one reason (of many) that I've had to constantly
remind the orthocentric composers to return to the fundamental truths (and
establish sound definitions).
It is why I have advocated for a Fairy Codex, for years -- not only improve
the prospects for fairy chess, but also to clarify orthodox.
You really don't understand the rules of a language, until you encounter
the rules of other languages -- so it is with the rules of chess.