[Retros] rights & ocassions / Tom, are you there?

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 09:20:02 EDT 2014

This is a recurring discussion. There is a FIDE ruling - though I can't
give you a precise reference - and there is a theoretical argument pointing
in the same direction of "static" interpretation of rights.

1. FIDE ruling. Shortly after a game between Fisher and Najdorf where
Fisher avoided the draw that might occur after Nd5-c7+ Ke8-e7 Nd5+ Ke8 Nc7+
Ke7 Nd5+ a FIDE congress or committee decided that a sequence such as as
this one would not result in a draw even if the black castling rights were
necessarily squashed by the first move Nc7+. Fisher raised the issue
himself since he considered gaining valuable time by inserting the second
repetition. Uncertain of the rules, he backed off after the first one.

2. "Undecidability". Dynamic interpetations lead to undecidable situations.
Take the original example in duplo (white to move):

White: Ke1, Rh1, Ph6
Black: Ke8, Rh8, Ph2

Note that both sides may have "castling rights" from the past. And note
that in the future of this position either Black or White may castle but
not both. Now play: Ke2, Ke7, Ke1, Ke8, Ke2, Ke7, Ke1, Ke8. Is this a draw?
Was it a draw before the last move? Though its is clear that one side could
never "have castled" in the future and therefore one King position must
have repeated into an automatic draw, it is impossible to state which one.
In an ordinary retro strategy problem one can always rely on finding a
proof game that will validate a possible or impossiible line of play. Here
however one compares 2 alternate future lines which are never part of the
same proof game. To be precise, after the first moves Ke2 and Ke7, we
already landed in games where both castlings are impossible. You can never
hope to find a timeline again connecting to either alternative when moving
from this point onward.

The static interpretation of castling rights in this example stays clear of
any difficulties. With 2 valid castlings rights in the diagram, the move
sequence completes without a draw and without questions. Even in a position
with mutually exclusive rights in the past, the overriding demand to have a
proof game always resolves repetition issues.

Or to put the result into a "meta rule": Avoid game rules based on (future)
game play. It gets you into complexity and ambiguity. Another example is
"ohne schach". Innocent as it seems, it is said to have caused at least 2
probable suicides matching Godels incompleteness theorem.

By the way, I can't see why e.p. and the full range of fairy conditions
should be treated differently. Do not look in the future, only in the past.

Guus Rol.