[Retros] rights & ocasions

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Mon May 5 05:22:26 EDT 2014

OK, I will take the lawyer's viewpoint -- because, in this case, that's the
only correct viewpoint.

I don't care whether you can castle, or not.
I care only that you have altered the position.

Consider the following position:

White : Ke1 Rh1 Pd6c5b4b2
Black : Kb8 Ra8a7 Bc8b7a6 Pd7c6b5h2

According to your "spirit of the law" interpretation (which is frankly no
such thing), movement of the white pawn, from b2 to b3, is useless -- no
capture or promotion is possible.
Therefore, according to your viewpoint, the position never really changed.
Rubbish.

All that matters is positional deviation.

Kevin