[Retros] reward for stalemate

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:50:42 EDT 2014

Guus,

I have to admit, part of me does like where it sounds like your suggestion
might be going.
However, I'm probably an easy sale, because I have always preferred the
logic of "a posterori" retros; nevertheless, enjoying a particular logic is
one thing, it's quite another to advocate that this (or something like it)
should be the default standard -- I would never be so bold.

Frankly, I still wonder if special case rules (castling, en passant,
two-step pawn moves, promotion, 3R, and 50M) should be entirely removed
from the default standard, for the purpose of simplicity (regardless how
much I would regret seeing them relegated to a less orthodox existence).

In fact, I once wondered whether even pawns should be removed -- and keep
to directionless units.
I once took a giant database, and stripped away all problems involving
pawns, and castling (such that the board orientation had no impact).
Needless to say, I discovered that I had lost nearly every great problem
ever composed. Of the few remaining problems, greatness had sunk to a
profound rarity (but, in those very rare directionless problems, where
greatness could yet be found, it was always worthy of careful study).

Best,
 Kevin.