[Retros] The basics of the relationsship between laws and conventions

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 06:17:22 EDT 2014

Hi Kevin,

These are good points in the evaluation of chess laws and regulations
eveywhere and you know quite a lot more about them than I do at present. My
simplification was aimed at showing the fundamental difference between the
laws players obey when playing a chess game and the retro-conventions
solvers use when approaching a retro problem. In that context the precise
source and composition of the laws is of lesser importance. It is however
necessary that some defined set of laws is available for reference by the
retro-conventions. The chess playing laws cannot work in a retro
environment without the conventions but vice versa the conventions require
the presence of laws to act on. Neither can fill in for the other. This is
an important first step in answering almost every question posed on the
subject of laws and retro-conventions!

Best wishes, Guus Rol.