[Retros] rights & ocassions / not answering Andrew anymore

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 05:10:04 EDT 2014

Hi Nicolas and Kevin,

Since the completion of the Babson task I am certain that every idea in
chess which can be conceived, can also be realized. Of course there are
constructions where 3R has a negative impact. As there are construction
where the castling convention has a negative impact, the e.p. convention
has a negative impact or any rule in the FIDE rulebook has a negative
impact. Even the presence of the square h1 on a chess board has been known
to frustrate the realization of some brilliant compositions!

I am in general not very worried about those impacts. What I am worried
about is negative impacts on the soundness, the consistency, the coherence,
the workability, the conceptual justification and the computability of the
whole system of rules and conventions. I decided long ago that having
automatic termination rules/conventions makes sense without partcularly
caring about what is in the FIDE laws at present. And see, what happens in
2014? The FIDE is about to implement automatic draws for both repetition
and no-progress situations to suit the computer boys. "Computibilty" is the
access code for the 21st century. Lets get rid of the code for the previous
one: "I am an expert in interpreting chess rules and convention at 50$ per
hour".

Best wishes, Guus Rol.