[Retros] rights & ocassions / not answering Andrew anymore

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:23:02 EDT 2014

Andrew,

Yes, we all know that 50M may be violated in problems with formal
stipulation -- and we all know that there is a reason for this (we have an
interest in allowing directmates which extend beyond 50M without progress).
The same can not be said of 3R -- problem chess (including formal
stipulations) has no demonstrated interest for extending problems which
repeat a position.
Furthermore, Retros are not formal stipulations, and there is no
demonstrated reason to exclude 3R from the automatic rules (in retro chess
problems) -- the analogy to 50M does not apply.

You have yet to make any case for what harm it would cause to accept 3R as
an automatic rule, for ANY set of stipulations.

Forget about trying to divine the "semantic" meaning from the Codex -- you
can't possibly put your faith in your own literalistic interpretation of a
document which fails to even define its own fundamental terms (e.g.,
"Fairy", "Orthodox", etc).

The question is not whether this is the correct reading of WFCC's Scripture
-- the question is how the chess community can best write its own math
books.

There are rules of math, and there are constraints given by the problem
stipulation, and the two should be kept separate.
You want to write 3R not as a rule in the Primary rule book, but in some
tertiary rule book, governed by some random arbiter (essentially leave it
entirely outside the scope of problem chess, like 50M), but you offer no
reason (the presumed analogy to 50M is in no way identical -- they each
have a unique set of circumstances).
50M was rendered non-automatic in certain chess problems, only out of
necessity -- you have demonstrated no analogous necessity for doing the
same with 3R.

This is not about the rules of a FIDE chess game -- in terms of a Primary
FIDE rule book.
First, WFCC has no authority over the rules of a constantly evolving gaming
Federation.
Second, WFCC can not possibly implement FIDE's rule book (a constantly
moving target) as a default Orthodoxy (the default rules governing all
Fairy elements require a stationary rule book, which is necessarily unique
to problem chess, and governed by a problem chess institution).

What you are debating is the best application of 3R, for an Orthodoxy that
WFCC is yet to define (orthodoxy is the universal default, the grand
unification theory -- nothing more, it has no relevance to the game of
chess). This rule will exist only in the space of problem chess (and
nowhere else -- certainly not a chess game).

In that context, kindly explain the danger you foresee in accepting an
automatic 3R rule; otherwise, in this same context, explain the advantage
of a non-automatic 3R rule.
Presume no 50M analogy.

If you want to debate this with Guus (who has at least offered a problem
which does express some advantage of accepting an automatic-3R rule), then
that is your assignment.

This is not a case for a self-appointed Supreme Semantics Court to decide
the meaning of a poorly written rule book, which does not even give space
for problem chess (and, again, does not define its own fundamental terms).

Best Regards,
 Kevin.