[Retros] Actualization of Retro-active states

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 22:04:50 EDT 2014

Guus,

 I find a fresh perspective in your thoughtful writing style -- so much so,
in fact, that I fear it might be lost, should you descend into the banal
descriptions about some tangential diagram!

 If you must resort to using a diagram, please, find an equally original
way to make it purposeful.
 I easily tire of reading about all things I can plainly see on a chess
board.

 I'm finding that most chess problem authors like to ramble on and on and
on about some simple idea which can be seen in the space of two moves.  I
don't much care how difficult and challenging the authors might claim (or
image) whatever glorious achievement holds their present interest -- I only
care to read what they can manage to describe!

 The ideas commonly found in diagrams would rarely merit the expense of a
single adverb.
 No wonder most chess problem books feature nothing but diagrams and
solutions, and prizes and numbers...
 No matter how we may long for the accompaniment of some intelligent text,
like a fool's cleverness, it generally turns out for the worse!

 Sometimes, I could swear that the only good and useful chess book I've
ever read was by GM Hans Ree.
 For those who know that most excellent book, recall how few diagrams it
contains.
 I could almost say the same about "Fermat's Enigma" (which is not entirely
a mathematics book), but in that case, I genuinely did yearn for more
equations, constantly, throughout;  plus, I've been through too many
wonderful math books...

 The point is: to the extent that your story is enhanced with diagrams (or
equations), treat your audience; otherwise, my advice is to continue
developing the sauce.
 Keep to the big picture, don't get lost describing the trivial effects in
a problem.
 By far, the most common mistake is to presume that an endless stream of
clever quips, coming from an attention-seeking narrator can help the viewer
to enjoy a live comedy show.

 I sometimes wonder in amazement: how many ways can a given problem chess
author make the banquet/feast analogy, and still pretend to expect that a
reader would salivate for all the baby-food described to arrive on the next
hundred spoons?

 I think you have much more interesting things to say, Guus;  and, though I
have no clue where you are leading us, I trust that readers are in good
hands (and expect nothing more than a fresh perspective). Whatever you do,
keep that.

 Kevin.