[Retros] rstan

Francois Labelle flab at wismuth.com
Sat Oct 5 21:10:01 EDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 10:40 AM, Andrew Buchanan wrote:

> I do have a shorter one, but the minimal solution is missing a capture that

> the longer solutions include. I suppose therefore it shouldn't count.

For the "shortest infinite game" task, I think that the problems should
be of the form

A * B^n * C (where n >= 0)

and the goal is to minimize |A| + |C|. Your record has

A = [d4 ... dxe5 ... Qxd7+ ... ]
B = [Qd6+ ... Qd7+ ... ]
C = [Qc6 ... Qc4 ...#]

There cannot be a capture in B.
If you want a new challenge, maybe try to find an example with |B| = 3?

> If any more of these are produced, I hope it's not too late to ditch the

> inappropriate & misleading name. These are nothing to do with proof games.

I'm not sure if "half proof game" is the best name, but these problems
do have something to do with proof games, in the sense that the goal is
to find a game starting from the initial position.

> I would use the term "half synthetic".

The name is usually what we have to find, e.g.
"mate in 2" means "find a mate in 2", and
"proof game in 6.5 moves" means "find a proof game in 6.5 moves".

Here, we're asked to find half of a game (because the other half is
already given). So saying
"find a half proof game" doesn't sound that bad. Saying "find a half
synthetic" sounds strange.

> They have the feel of kriegspiel, too.

Yes. Also similar are Steno-Chess problems (
http://www.cetteadressecomportecinquantesignes.com/StenoC.htm ) and HAP
problems ( http://abrobecker.free.fr/chess/hap.htm ), which both also
ask for a game given partial information about the moves. These were
discussed on the mailing list in 2004 and 2007.

> On disambiguation, I think option c is the most natural & the best:

> "A fractional synthetic is obtained by taking the solution as written in

> algebraic notation and blanking the hidden plies."

Sounds good, thanks. I might be able to generate some "half proof games"
by computer, but first I wanted a precise definition.

François