[Retros] Non-Chess Retrograde Analysis

Mark Thornton Mark.Thornton at PapworthEverard.co.uk
Sat Jun 1 16:03:55 EDT 2013

In cricket, there are 3 levels at which the score is kept:

(a) the scoreboard, which summarises the current state of play, for the benefit of spectators in the ground
(b) the scorecard, a more complete summary of play, used by TV and newspapers
(c) the scorebook, the official and complete record of the game.

This opens the door to cricket retro problems, e.g. deduce (b) from the evidence of (a) or (c) from the evidence of (b). It happens very rarely, but I have spotted instances in real games where such deductions are possible, normally for a fleeting moment only. I have also seen a handful of composed scorecards, from which the solver is asked to deduce information about the contents of the scorebook. These occasionally appear in British publications on recreational mathematics.

Best wishes
Mark
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernd Gräfrath"
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:19 PM
Subject: [Retros] Non-Chess Retrograde Analysis

For more non-chess retrograde analysis, see

http://www.reocities.com/joe_kisenwether/Retro.html

Bernd

Gesendet: Samstag, 01. Juni 2013 um 12:25 Uhr
Von: "Joost de Heer" <joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl>
Betreff: [Retros] Draughts proofgame
Hello,

I thought that maybe some people would find this interesting: a
proofgame in draughts. Not an exact proofgame unfortunately, these are
almost impossible to realise.

http://laatste.info/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=276&start=225#p99885

This is the longest possible game without captures or promotions.

Joost

Sent via http://www.ANY-Mail.com