[Retros] Retrograde analysis in other forms

Steve Dowd sdowd367 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 17:19:11 EDT 2013

One of my interests are (old-time) radio plays (excellent for a migraine
sufferer like myself, you can sit in the dark and listen while you wait for
the pills to take effect), and sometimes chess is a plot device. I have
thought of composing problems to match the chess plot.

For example, the plot of The Crimson Queen from Barrie Craig, Confidential
Investigator, relies on the fact that in a chess game, the queen was out
and active, although the closed nature of the queenside supposedly
indicated that the queen could not have escaped her home square. This of
course indicates that the queen was captured on her home square and that a
promoted white queen exists that looks unobstrusive at first sight but
through RA you could denote it was promoted.

I find this a very neat idea and anyone who would want to work with me on
something like this is more than welcome to. But of course it would suffer
from the fact that not that many people are into radio theater (although
you would think more chess players would be since radio theater is theater
of the mind).

So if any of you would like to try something like this, we could use this
as our test collaboration and then get to other radio plays with possible
retrograde chess content. But eventually I hope to get to it myself - but I
am not always too retrograde-smart.

Thanks for letting me share one of my little pet ideas!

SBD