[Retros] destination squares

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 4 12:11:11 EST 2013

"Andrew Buchanan" <andrew at anselan.com> writes:

> The end position for the 3 destination mate is also similar to

> a proof game composed by Richard [later corrected: Joost de Heer]

> years ago.

The game is also known outside of problem circles as a cautionary tale
for the touch-move rule.

> The first Pal Benko problem is nicely paradoxical: because the initial

> diagram is a sound #2 as well, without any retraction!

Right, it's basically a retractor mutate -- not sure I've seen such a
problem before -- where the set and solution switch the roles of Black's
two flights (which I also suppose legitimizes the flight-taking keys
for those who care about such things).

NDE