[Retros] Two-pawns chess

Francois Labelle flab at wismuth.com
Wed Oct 24 01:02:46 EDT 2012

My computer finished looking for a win in two-pawns chess:
- White cannot win in 7 moves against perfect play.
- White can win in 8 moves with 1.e3.

At depth 8 I only tested 1.e3 which looked the most promising. I don't
know if other opening moves can win in 8 too.

Below are optimal moves against all 20 black defenses. If multiple moves
work for White, I pick the fastest win, and if there's a tie, I pick the
first piece that works, from Ra1 to Rh1.

1. e3 a6 2. Bxa6 (white wins at move 4)
1. e3 a5 2. Qf3 (white wins at move 7)
1. e3 b6 2. Qh5 (white wins at move 6)
1. e3 b5 2. Bxb5 (white wins at move 4)