[Retros] Solidarity Chess (=SC)

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 03:08:59 EST 2012

Andrey,

Actually, after further consideration, the logical algorithm is very
simple, and apparent.
Win > Stalemate > Draw (which you might stipulate as: "# > = > ½").
This might even have practical value, in the orthodox game!

This avoids what may be an unfortunate (and multifaceted) compulsion to
ditch your own units (as might be necessary in my previous suggestion
"ideal-# > model-# > mate > ½").

In fact, it might even be useful to stipulate some "#\=" problems this way
-- because the weaker side would almost certainly prefer to settle only for
the stalemate outcome.
In this light, the "#\=" goal would seem the lesser form (easier to realize
some theme, this way, but not the form you would prefer, if possible).

It is worth noting that you likely want all such problems to end in
stalemate (if a win by checkmate were possible, better to reduce the
stipulation to simply "Win"); however, you do not want any problem to solve
as direct-stalemate (you want the threat of checkmate to enter into the
play, and compel some concession, which allows stalemate).

This requires, of the composer, a rather skillful mechanism!
No* #*n (for any value of n), No *=*n (for any value of n), but *#\=n* (for
some value of n).
Presuming you do not want to disclose what n is (essentially, you're
interested only in studies, yes?).

If this is the case, it would seem wise to quickly survey theoretical
positions where stalemate can be forced.
Upon reaching such a theoretical position, quite naturally, I presume the
study would terminate, since the alternative would be to indefinitely chase
the opponent's lone King around the board, with your King and your pair of
Knights (not the worst idea in a game, perhaps, but far from valuable in a
study)!

Best,
Kevin