[Retros] Win by capturing opponent's king

Andrew Buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Thu Dec 20 20:25:06 EST 2012

If the game is won by capturing the opponent's king, then really the check
rule must go too. Because otherwise someone who is about to have their king
taken has no legal final move.

Because of this, we can construct positions where it is *faster* to force
capture of the king than to mate:

http://www.janko.at/Retros/d.php?ff=7k/5P2/8/5K2/8/8/8/8
(a) Mate in 3.
(b) [Capture the king] Win in 2.