[Retros] Solidarity chess (=SC)

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 19 14:11:49 EST 2012

Joost writes:

> Oops, misread your mail. 3.d4 is illegal since it splits white's position.

Right, I was trying to be too fancy and use the same opening to ask
two different questions. Still, in the example from the webpage
1 e3 Nf6 2 d4 Nc6 3 Bc4 e5 we can ask: Is the threat of 4...Nxd4
"check" -- e.g. in a proof game would White be obligated to parry
this threat next move? As for Qxe8, some fairy conditions retain
orthodox check/mate and others apply also to the K's virtual capture
(as with Circe vs. Circe Rex Inclusive -- though I suppose in the
rex-inclusive version the capture need not be virtual if the King
is reborn!). I was asking for clarification on which convention
is intended here.

NDE