[Retros] Illegal moves by grandmasters

tregeryefim at aol.com tregeryefim at aol.com
Wed May 11 08:37:47 EDT 2011

1. What if some player resigns in a dead position? Can he then dispute the result?
2. What if both players do not notice the appearance of a dead position in a game (according to their score sheet), do some illegal moves, going to a not dead position (!) and get some decisive result? (and then argue...)
3. What if some players do illegal moves between positions (either dead or not dead ones) and get some results, after which dispute the result?...
4. Who will define the deadness of a position in a game? There are some of them, very sophisticated...
Why do we need to solve these headache questions, if there is such a solution.
Let's introduce an idea of a legal position.
A legal position is a position which emerges from the very first one upon according to chess rules, except rules of "deadness", 3-times repetition, 50 moves. All such positions form the Tree (graph) of all legal positions (an illegal position cannot be in it). Then a dead position is a legal position. It is just additionally characterized by some specific properties...

A dead position like a dead-man in our world, but it is our, a legal and real world! ...

Now, if a dead position is equal in rights position then any "superior" interruption of a game (resigning, checkmating) outdoes any possible disputes related to dead-man...

Yefim Treger