[Retros] Fwd: Proof game promotion task

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:41:01 EDT 2010

Andrey,

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression -- I have great respect,
both for the authors, and for this remarkable achievement...

However, I must admit, I tend to prefer your masterfully "artistic"
proofgames, to this task.
Still, this is a great problem... maybe not top-10, for me, but it
certainly ranks high.

Also, it is not my intention to criticize the use of promoted pieces.
In fact, I wonder if the convention has outlived its usefulness...
even for directmates.

I strive to unlearn such dogmatic problem conventions (much the same
way we all did with opening principles) -- I don't want to limit
myself with the narrow view of beauty.

Unfortunately, history often requires a spectacular event --
something folks can point to, and declare "that problem made us all
realize that promoted force warranted exploration."

I don't think the PG57.5, or the Cyclic-Babson, constituted such an event.
There is something else -- intangible -- missing from these
profoundly remarkable achievements.. call it the human touch...that
one small step that casts, forever, a human footprint upon this, the
highest peak... some emotional response it stirs... I dunno.

Hey, I am not the leading authority here -- and this is nothing more
than my opinion.
I might be wrong.

-Kevin.

btw: For anyone curious, I believe the longest ProofGame without
promoted force (indeed, without any promotion) might be
PROBID='P0002554' (see PDB online).