[Retros] linguistic hole

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Wed Jan 20 08:47:31 EST 2010

Some comments to Horcrux and HP:

Andrew: "Spoiler Warning" -- not necessary. Every Harry Potter reader knows
from the beginning what a Horcrux is. What he does not know is which things
or persons Horcrux are.

Alain: "and we can't expect it [Horcrux] to be as widely known as greek
mythology [Phoenix]" -- I am pretty sure that there are more people in the
world who know what a Horcrux is than people who know what a Phoenix is.
That's the spirit ouf our time. [The German word for "spirit of our time" is
"Zeitgeist", and I just recognized that this word made it into Englisch as
"zeitgeisty" :-)]

Kevin: "recent children's book" -- IMHO Harry Potter has the same status as
"The Lord of the Rings". There are many parallels: LOTR starts as book for
children, as sequel for "The Little Hobbit", but, as Tokien says, "while
writing it the story began to grow" and at the end it was not a book for
children anymore (the first 100 pages of LOTR are for children!). The same
applies for HP: The first 2 books are for children, but the story grows and
the HP becomes a fantasy epos for any age.

~ÔttÔ~