[Retros] Introduction to Proof Games

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Fri Jan 8 16:11:31 EST 2010

HI Bernd,

Wow that's a very impressive study by Costeff!

In forward play problems or studies, there is some art in avoiding a queen promotion. But that simply doesn't exist in retro problems, particularly in proof games. All four promotional pieces have different properties and challenges in PGs, whether they be Pronkin, Ceriani-Frolkin, phoenix etc... Indeed for Schnoebelen promotions, the queen is by very far indeed the hardest one!

I am not competent to judge on the meaning of Valladao for forward play - but I think a PG Valladao pawn can legitimately promote to a queen. It would be artificial and contrived not to allow this.

Cheers,
Andy.