[Retros] [Retros' fairy retros

afretro afretro at yandex.ru
Wed Sep 9 06:36:13 EDT 2009

Dear Bernd,
Kornilov and I came to the conclusion that “ideal classical-style/orthodox retroanalysis” requires positions in which the standard stipulation “Release the position” is enough. Even the indication of the side which is on the move is in principle a condition affecting retroplay. In most cases, however, we have to deal with retros which are not “ideal” in that sense.
As to SPGs I realized that they are in a certain way closer to helpmates than to classical-style retros back in 1991, when writing a book on SPGs together with Gerd Wilts.
There can be several ways to classify retroanalysis, e.g. classical-style & conditional & SPGs & fairy or orthodox (inclusive of SPGs) & conditional & fairy, etc. I don’t insist on any one in particular. It’s a question for discussion and hopefully consensus at some point in the future.
Yours,
Andrey