[Retros] fairy retros

afretro afretro at yandex.ru
Wed Sep 9 03:39:22 EDT 2009

Dear Thomas,

I would like to express my absolute support for your views.

In this world, everything including chess rules tends to change in the course of time. The current rules are knows to dozens of millions of people worldwide, while just a few hundred or thousand individuals are aware of fairy chess. That is the reason for the special attitude towards standard chess, shared by many colleagues. If back in the late 1960s I had seen nothing but fairy retros, I would not have taken an interest in retroanalysis. But on the other hand, fairy retros do offer a vast scope of inspiring opportunities. I only hope that orthodox retros will linger on for a few more decades, alongside of fairy retros, and that in the future most of the tourneys will be divided into certain categories, like it is happening in the “general” fairy section. This will make retro tourney judgment appear to be “more objective.” Will it truly be more objective? I am not sure, unless strict criteria are used, as was the case with several thematic Schwalbe tourneys.

Yours sincerely,
Andrey