[Retros] Challenge

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Sun Nov 29 03:50:35 EST 2009

Hi Chaps,

http://www.k4it.de/index.php?topic=egtb&lang=en provides Web Query for Nalimov Endgame Tablebases and reveals that any non-suicidal knight move is also a win, for sufficiently high n.

> but I agree with the conclusion, that it should be easy to build a position as intended by Kevin

I offer N7/1p6/kP6/Pp6/1P6/8/8/Kb6, which has 9 units.

> If the keys must all be unique, the challenge is, of course, much tougher.

A looser constraint which achieves the same desired effect to avoid infinity is simply to demand that there must exist a maximum n for which there exists a mate in exactly n.

All the best,
Andy.