[Retros] CC game

Николай Белухов nbeluhov at abv.bg
Wed Nov 11 06:25:53 EST 2009

Hi,

> In my intended solution, there are two double checks.

> If correct, it may be possible to add an extra double check

This time both endings seem unique, so now Goran has raised the plank to 43 moves.

By the way, my attempt at using double checks from last message was reported as cooked. Sorry if anyone has wasted time solving it.

> When someone makes a double check do they say "double check"? I would just say "check".

Absolutely right, in terms of the first part of the story (when we listen to a game in the neighbouring room). But double-checks are denoted in chess notation (in terms of the second part of the story), so they should be legitimate.

Speaking of notation, does someone think they could use the sign '?' to denote stupid moves? I think this is the last sign left unexplored now. In almost all the CC-games constructed thus far, almost all the moves should have such a sign, but probably with a more rigorous definition ("a move that allows or misses a mate in one", say) this could allow some very interesting effects. Besides, people do tend to comment on stupid and clever moves in a chess game, so this would preserve the "story" feel of the puzzles. Just an idea, I haven't researched this one yet.

Best wishes,
Nikolai