[Retros] The Case of the Mysterious Moves

Mario Richter mri_two at t-online.de
Mon Nov 2 06:50:42 EST 2009

Dear Nikolai,

this problem type is very similiar to some other types of chess problems
that were also discussed here in the RML, like "HAP-Chess" or
Eric Angelini's "Steno Chess".

This new version could be named "CCC-Chess" (capture/castle/check).

> I don't think these two need to be the last problems of their kind;

> but it seems now (as I suspected, and you confirmed) that it is very hard

> indeed to create a completely determined game which does not make use of castling.

Using the following notation:
a single ply is surrounded by '[' and ']',
'-' means non-capture, 'x' means capture
'*' stands for a non-check giving move, '+' for a check-giving move
'#' stand for mate

here is one simple CCC-string, that should be correct:

Anybody outthere who can provide a longer, uniquely solvable CCC-String?

Best,

mario