[Retros] Variables

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Mon Nov 24 10:49:44 EST 2008

That makes things more interesting Joost. There is more to Stephens comments than just the "Variable Piece". He also adjusts the notation of moves by writing down "Vc4-b3" instead of "Vc4xb3" or "Vc4xb3 e.p." as would be usual. That introduces new unknowns (captures) besides the Variable Piece. One would need to peel off the layers to see if there is anything AP hidden inside (which I doubt). Note that the e.p. capture needs no justification since the preceding double step move is a 100% certainty. The playing options of a Pawn are therefore as clearly defined as those of any other piece and need no justification.

By the way, I've encountered PbyD (prove it by doing it) before and I've always wondered if that could mean something different from PF-strategy. If it included arbitrary e.p. captures as well, what would they need AP-logic for?

Guus Rol