[Retros] Building a complete and friendly retro library

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Sun May 18 05:20:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

We need a hybrid wiki+database.

At bottom, we need to have a *database* of problems which can be
searched along various flexible criteria. Existing wikis don't have
that requirement. But a pure database, like PDB, is not quite enough
because it doesn't allow for non-relational concepts (e.g. chess
conventions, articles about pawn promotion checkmates) to be grafted
on. A wiki would obviously be ideal for that.

All problems should be stored in the database. There should be a
facility to get output as a list of FENs, not just a graphical output
as in PDB currently.

There is then the question of data. Much historical data can be
migrated from existing online sources. However I think that priority
should be given to established procedures so that that all new
published problems (including the "best of" RML?) appear in the system.
Over time, one can back fill the historical stuff.

Cheers,
Andy