[Retros] half castling: new retroplay record

afretro afretro at yandex.ru
Tue Mar 11 01:46:38 EDT 2008

Dear Roberto,
I have read your article quite carefully. It is interesting and inspiring. Your style of writing is different from mine; I would have presented some things using other words, but that is of course a matter of taste.
Anyway, although the English language of the draft is quite good, it still requires editing. In some places, non-translated words remain (like “Caso” instead of “Case”).
“To pick it out from the board” – I believe “to remove it from the board” is better.
***
Example 3
RV3: retraction Kf2xNg1 followed by 1. a8=Q#
Correctly: 1. a1=Q#
***
As to the content of the article, I see one fundamental weakness. I am referring to the provision that “an illegal complete move has a higher preference than an underway legal move” (“higher priority” is better). It is clear to me why you had to take that approach, but still… Suppose you come up to a chess board with two players sitting at the opposite sides of it and see a position which could have originated from a complete illegal move or from an incomplete legal one. What your hypothesis would be? I would conjecture that a legal move is underway, feeling players are less likely to make illegal moves than to make a pause in the process of making a legal one.
In my opinion this point has to be elaborated on in the text, with an emphasis on the fact that the world of composition and the world of the chess game are two different realms and composers have a right to be “not quite realistic” in their approaches and/or assumptions.
Yours most truthfully,
Andrey
March 11, 2008

11.03.08, 02:24, raosorio at fibertel.com.ar: