[Retros] Are the King and the Rook pieces or what?

A J Mestel A.J.Mestel at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 04:30:32 EST 2008

You could not make me castle rather than play Kf1 if I accidentally played
1 Kg1. However, if I played 1 Rf1 and stopped (pressed my clock) I don't
think I would be allowed to rectify my mistake saying I meant to castle.

If I play Kg1 and press my clock that counts as an illegal move and I must
make any K move, including 0-0-0 I suppose.

So here's my contribution:

W Ke1 Rh1 Qd4 Rg5 I play 1 Rf1 (intending to castle) but the game is over
because it's mate...or is it? My move isn't complete, but how do you know
that? I don't have to press my clock after a mating move, but until I do
my move isn't complete...

Every now and again they change the rules so that you have to move your
king first when castling, but then they change it back.

Jonathan