[Retros] Are the King and the Rook pieces or what?

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Mon Jan 28 06:45:40 EST 2008

I'd find it hard to identify an "intent to castle" without even having
the legal possibility to castle. E.g., is there a difference between
"Ke1 having moved earlier in the game eliminating 0-0" and "a black
bishop threatening f1 thus preventing 0-0"? Or worse, when I touch Ke1
and Ra1 simulataneously with the left side completely undeveloped, does
that show "intent to play 0-0-0" - merely having overlooked the
interfering Q, B and N? If there is a line to be drawn here, where is it
and why is it not in the rules? I do hope that the precise formal
criteria are not hidden somewhere in the jurisprudence, where they are
practically inaccessible to the players.

Anyway, my view is that there are no grades in illegality and that all
positions where castling is illegal should be treated equally with
regard to the touch-pieces rules. Article 4.4 first creates an
exemption, and subsequently fails to resolve it cleanly. Count on FIDE
to disturb the peace whenever it can.

Guus Rol.