[Retros] fractional moves: to be or not to be

raosorio at fibertel.com.ar raosorio at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Feb 22 13:42:07 EST 2008

Hi Guus,
Let's see what Geurt concludes.

Meantime, I think your propossal is very interesting.

"7.4.a. If during a game it is found that an illegal move.... has been
completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be
reinstated. .... Article 4.3 applies to the move replacing the illegal
move. "

What does "..completed" mean in this context?
Ke1-g1 is not an illegal move but an ongoing move, until the clock is pressed
(when castling is posible and legal).
So, as you suggest, the "irregularity" would be not Ke1-g1 but the clock pressing
(the only fact that makes Ke1-g1 to be a "..completed" illegal move).

This would lead to your point, but the problem is the unhappy phrase
".... Article 4.3 applies to the move replacing the illegal move. " .

It seems that it should be "..Article 4 applies...", opening the alternatives 4.3 and 4.6
depending on the case.

Best,
Roberto Osorio

Hi Roberto,

Interesting to get Geurt's comment on this topic; the world of
composition meets the world of play.

There is another way to interpret 7.4a "the position immediately before
the irregularity shall be reinstated". If one conceives that the
irregularly only started AFTER playing Ke1-g1, more precisely at the
time the clock was pressed, then the referee might decide to restore the
conditions after Ke1-g1 and demand that the player completes the
castling move.

Best, Guus Rol.